I wanted something to go on eggs with breakfast. This is kinda spicy; I’m on a “fuck subtlety” kick and I want to taste every goddamn flavour. You may want to adjust the spicing up or down depending on your tastes.
I’ve taken to using the very lazy garlic and chillies just so I don’t worry about buying fresh and only using half before they go bad. Shit happens, y’know?
There would be a picture here, but I keep eating it before I can take a shot. I’ll edit one in if ever I have the patience.
Makes 6 servings
Prep time 10 minutes
Cook time 45 minutes
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 130g chorizo, diced
- 2 onions, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced or 4tsp chopped garlic
- 3tsp dried oregano
- 2tsp chopped red chillies
- 2x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 2x 90g jars chipotle paste or 200g chipotles in adobo, chopped, with sauce
- 2 limes, juice only
- 15g fresh coriander (half a bunch, chopped)
- 2tbsp soy sauce
- Heat the olive oil in a frying-pan or skillet. Fry the chorizo until it’s just crisp and the oil has turned orange from the spices. Remove the chorizo and return the pan to the heat.
- Sauté the onions and garlic in the same oil until soft and translucent but not brown (5-10 mins).
- Add the oregano and chopped chillies, stir, and cook off for a minute or so. Add the tomatoes and chipotle, stir, and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, and blend into a chunky puree.
- Return to the heat. Stir through coriander, soy sauce, and chorizo, season, and cook for 5 more minutes.
Either use immediately or refrigerate in a sealed container for up to a week.
Make it Vegan
Don’t use chorizo. Start by frying the onions and garlic with a heaped teaspoon (or more, depending on your taste) of good-quality smoked paprika.